Thursday, June 6, 2013

Why Is The Ocean Salty?

Assalamualaikum darlings!

Last time I went to Tanjung Piai with my family.


My only and little brother Hafiz is an intelligent boy who likes to ask fact and sometimes He always makes me feel dumb when I cant answered His questions. When I tell him to find out the fact from Mr. Google He always says that now I’m asking you not Google.

During the long journey to Tanjung Piai suddenly He asked me a questions which I couldn’t answer.


First he asked me about electrical engineering what this and that, and I answered Him.                                     
and then He asked me how the cloud  is formed
OK it is a tough question though I need to answer , since such for a long time I not study science subject basically BUT I answered him with the best answer
“ firstly cloud is frozen liquid droplets If kakak not mistaken la. So, it is formed by the process which you know as evaporation in Science and go through cooling process which then make cloud. Did I answer your questions, Hafiz?”

“Ok Great!" formation of cloud which is related to meteorology Physic which not related to my electrical engineering field. Bahaha. Forgot already about the Science fact.

JENG JENG JENG actually Hafiz got killer questions for me and then he asked me
“I know you smart kakak, so why is the ocean salty? But when there is fresh water flows to the sea why the ocean still salty. When I’m diving I think how salty is the ocean water. Why is the ocean salty ?”

GOSH! *Prang! Bunyi kaca jatuh*

Sumpah Tak tahu nak jawab apa kalau kuiz memang zero mark dah!


ociano saltino tak tahuno nahei

“Maybe once upon a time the scientist makes experiments there and lot of salts tumpah till they cannot clear all the salts there, and U know kan the ocean luas so that’s why. I think you watch a lot of National Geographic till you think too much. Don’t think too much , this questions never asked in your exam. !” Ok, rasa malu and bengangnya because I cant answer His questions. Ok I’m just kidding.

Actually I told Him that I don’t even know about the ocean fact seriously. I know the ocean is salty BUT about the real fact I never makes assignments to think deeply about the fact. So, I promised him that I’ll find the right answers when we get home.

Firstly thank you my best friends, Google for being my rescue ranger. And finally Hafiz get his answer.

a)     sea water is 220 times saltier than the fresh lake water.

b)    water comes into contact with the rocks of Earth’s crust, either on land or in the ocean or within the oceanic crust, some of the minerals in the rock dissolve and are carried by the water to the ocean. The salt content of seawater does not change because new minerals are forming on the sea floor at the same rate as salt is added. Thus, the salt content of the sea is at steady state

c)     Seawater contains more dissolved ions than all types of freshwater.However, the ratios of solutes differ dramatically. For instance, although seawater contains about 2.8 times more bicarbonate   than river water based on  molarity , the percentage of bicarbonate in seawater as a ratio of all dissolved ions is far lower than in river water. Bicarbonate ions also constitute 48% of river water solutes but only 0.14% of all seawater ions. Differences like these are due to the varying  residence time  of seawater solutes; sodium and chlorine  have very long residence times, while calcium (vital for carbonate formatio) tends to precipitate much more quickly. The most abundant dissolved ions in seawater are sodium, chloride, magnesium, sulfate  and calcium.

p/s: My little smart brother which just 13 years old asked simple science fact to His older sister a 20 years old the future engineer BUT didn’t answered. So, da conclusion is my brother was too genius maybe He will become a doctor or Scientist in Da Future maybe.. I never think and asked question like hat during 13 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...